The Pretty Hat Care Guide
You're here because you love hats as much as we do, and you wear them often. It's inevitable that your precious accessories will need cleaning to keep them in tip-top condition, so by carefully following these instructions your hats, scarves and gloves will look their best for longer. Please note that unless otherwise stated, it is best to hand-wash our products in lukewarm water using a gentle, non-bleach based washing liquid.
Some pilling is expected over time through handling and wear, this is normal for both acrylic blend and wool products. We recommend storing hats in the velvet pouch provided when not in use.
Acrylic & Acrylic Blend
Which Products? Most of our beanies, most gloves.
The majority of our beanie hats (fleece-lined, satin-lined, with and without pom-poms) and gloves are made with acrylic blends for the optimum softness and longevity. We always recommend hand-washing our products and leaving them to dry naturally. You will find that just rubbing some gentle hand-soap mixed with lukewarm water on the inner edge and lining is enough to clean the majority of stains, smells and dirt of everyday wear.
If absolutely necessary, a gentle machine wash is acceptable (on the hand-wash setting) but may increase pilling (bobbling). Do proceed with caution as every item has a hand-stitched gold bar which could come loose and cause damage to machines, and some styles have removable popper poms, so we recommend putting the hat inside a pillowcase or laundering bag and securing the open end with a hair tie to protect the hats and your appliance*.
We use intricate hand embroidery and embellishments on many of our products. These should be treated with great care to prevent
Wool & Wool Blend
Which Products? Most of our berets, some bakers.
For all of our wool accessories, we recommend hand washing to retain the shape and appearance. Please follow the steps below to wash your hand knitted garment.
To retain shape and appearance we recommend hand washing separately:
- Use a non-biological delicate detergent like Ecover Delicate to avoid colour loss and the use of harsh chemicals. Always wash dark colours separately.
- Turn the garment inside out and wash the garment by hand in lukewarm water. Gently agitate the knitted garment to clean. Do not soak, wring or rub too hard.
- Rinse using fresh cold water. Repeat until the water is free of soap suds.
- Remove excess water by squeezing carefully and then wrap in a clean towel and press gently.
- Do not tumble dry as it is liable to cause felting and shrinkage.
- Reshape the garment and dry flat on a towel, away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Once dry, store flat or in one of our Pretty Hat velvet drawstring bags.
*The above Care Guidelines are advisory and The Pretty Hat Ltd is not liable for damages to products or home appliances as a result of laundering.